LED outdoor displays are not only an information medium but also a unique symbol of the city’s image.
Do the operating temperatures of LED displays increase as the summer months get warmer?
Why does the screen need to dissipate heat?
The temperature of a display is closely related to its performance. Excessive temperatures directly affect the performance of the screen.
1. Wavelength drift: Wavelength drift affects the color correction of a display; if the temperature of an LED display changes too much, wavelength drift will increase.
2. Decrease the luminous efficiency of LED displays.
3. High junction temperature will shorten the life of LED.
4. Greater light attenuation of the LED display.
5. More heat dissipating components are. Used in the internal circuits, resulting in higher costs.
Display cooling solutions
So how can outdoor LED displays safely handle the heat?
1. By applying the principles of aerodynamics, the shape of the lamp housing creates air convection.
2. Heat dissipating housing is used to dissipate heat, and the housing is filled with heat conductive material during injection molding to increase heat conductivity and improve heat dissipation.
3. The use of aluminum fins in the housing to increase the heat dissipation area.
4. Surface radiation heat treatment of the lamp housing, which can dissipate part of the heat from the surface of the lamp housing.
5. LED with high luminous efficiency; however, this may increase the cost of LED display.
6… Open LED displays with a common cathode can be used, so there is no need to worry about heat dissipation, and the efficiency of the display increases! Try also: Outdoor Smd Screen
What is an LED display with a common cathode?
An LED chip has two terminals, anode, and cathode, and each color LED consists of three pairs of LED chips. (red, green, and blue).
In a conventional design with a common anode, the outputs of the three LEDs (red, green, and blue) are connected together, and an external ballast resistor is connected in series with the red LED to maintain a constant voltage and compensate for the voltage drop between the three LEDs. This results in less free space for the LEDs, making it more difficult to achieve fine pixel spacing, and provides an additional heat source that accelerates degradation over time and shortens their lifetimes.
The shared cathode method provides a separate supply voltage for each of the red, green, and blue LEDs, allowing the red LED power to be adjusted individually and eliminating the need for ballast resistors.
What are the advantages of a common cathode for outdoor LED displays? In addition, a temperature rise test was. Conducted between the common cathode and the common anode of the P3.84 outdoor LED display.
1. Room temperature / 25°C
2. Wind / light breeze
3. Product test: P3.84 outdoor LED display with common cathode / common anode.
Test conditions: Standing in the sun, white screen with white balance 255 grayscale.
The average temperature of the common anode display and the common cathode LED display differs by about 18 °C. The image captured by the thermal imaging camera shows that the areas of high surface temperature on the common anode screen are punctual, while the surface temperature distribution on the common cathode screen is relatively high and average.