Moon Peak Trek Highlight
- The Moon Peak Trek starts from Dharamshala and Mcleodganj and passes through Triund, Laka Gompa, Lahesh Caves, and Indrahaar Pass.
- Moon Peak is located in the Dhauladhar Range, commonly known as the Lit White Range of the Western Himalayas.
- One of the amazing things about this trek is that it takes you up to 15,200 feet in a few days.
Peak Moon Travel:
The Moon Peak Expedition follows the route used by the “Gaddi Shepherds” to their summer pastures in the Raavi and Lahaul Valleys. In the south, there is a beautiful view of the Indian landscape; in the north, there is the holy mountain of Mani Mahesh Kailash and the snow-capped Pir Panjal range. Another important part of the journey is that it starts in McLeodganj, the residence of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama and the site of the main temple of the exiled Tibetan community. McLeodGanj is a traveller’s delight and a foodie’s paradise! The original Tibetan cuisine will captivate your attention, and the friendliness of the locals will enhance the experience.
Fast facts about the Peak Moon Tour:
- The Moon Peak Trek takes 4 nights and 5 days. Maximum altitude: 15,200 feet.
- The difficulty of the Moon’s Top Hike: Easy to Hard
- Distance to Pic de la Lune: 45 km
- Temperatures range from 19°C (max all day) to -2°C (min. night)
- The ideal time to visit is from May through October.
- ATM in McLeodGanj.
- Start/End Location: Main Square, McLeod Ganj
Directions to McLeodganj:
By plane: The nearest airport to reach McLeodganj is Gaggal Airport or Dharamsala-Kangra Airport. It is about 20 kilometres from McLeodganj. The drive from the airport to McLeodganj takes about 30 minutes.
By train: Pathankot, the nearest broad gauge railway station, is about 100 km from McLeodganj. Kangra, a narrow port thirty kilometres away, is the nearest station to McLeodganj. Train lovers can take advantage of this trip to enjoy the wonders of the train, although it takes a long time because it is a small train. There are direct trains from Ahmedabad, Delhi, Jammu, Tawi, Amritsar, Tatanagar, Durg, and Haridwar. Several daily trains connect Delhi to Jammu and Kashmir from Pathankot.
By car: State buses connect the city with neighbouring towns. Delhi, which is 530 km from Mcleodganj, is often travelled by luxury vehicles. McLeodganj is well connected to Chandigarh (275 km) and Dharamshala (5 km).
Day 1: McLeodGanj to Triund (9 km; 5 hours)
Arrival on your own at McLeodGanj, the starting point of our journey.
We will take the selected tour to Triund Valley and reach there in the afternoon. Spend the rest of the day enjoying the close proximity of Dhauladhar through the lush greenery.
Mountain nights are always beautiful, so look out for clear, starry skies from your tent.
Day 2: Triund to Ilaqa Got (5 km, 3 hours)
We wake up to a beautiful morning and start our journey to Ilaqa Got.
We will pass the Snowline cafe in two hours and reach our destination in one hour. Upon arrival, check in, rest for the day and begin the hike down to the base of the mountain.
Day 3: Ilaqa to Lahesh Caves (2 hours)
We will leave early in the morning after breakfast, and weather permitting, we will try to climb Moon Peak today; if not, we will do it the next day. This can be used as an extra day if the weather does not allow it.
If we are going up the mountain that day, we can try an early morning attempt.
Day 4: Moon Peak to Ilaqa Arrived
We will start early today and cross the beautiful Indrahar Pass.
After a while, we will climb Moon Peak (15,200 feet). The views from the Peak are breathtaking, so be sure to record a moment to remember them forever!
Day 5: Ilaqa to McLeodganj
Ilaqa reached McLeodganj. We leave early this morning and reach McLeodganj in the evening, ending a beautiful tour.
Included in the Moon Peak Tour:
1. Accommodations: You will spend the first 4 nights of the trip in a tent, 3 people per tent. Male and female participants have separate rooms or tents.
2. Food (breakfast, lunch, a snack, and dinner). Every day at Moon Peak, we serve simple and nutritious vegetarian meals.
3. Campground Fees: All travel permits and camping fees are included.
4. Travel Equipment: All cabins include high-rise tents and sleeping bags. Sleeping bags can tolerate temperatures as low as -10 degrees Celsius.
5. Safety equipment: a first aid kit, oxygen cylinders, an oximeter, and other emergency equipment will be available with the tour guide and in the camp.
6. Qualified Escorts: All our escorts have completed basic or advanced training in rock climbing and first aid.
7. A Professional Trek Support Team: The mountain staff for moon peak trek includes trained guides, cooks, helpers, and guards.