Sheets and mattress covers protect your mattress from sweat, dust, and spills, but they are not perfect. It is therefore important to regularly deep clean your mattress to remove any impurities that may have seeped through the sheets or mattress cover.
Many studies have shown that a dirty mattress can cause or worsen illnesses such as allergies and colds. By cleaning your mattress, you can extend its life while protecting your health.
Before you can thoroughly clean your mattress, you need to know how to do it. Here is some information on what you can expect if you hire a professional mattress cleaner in Sydney.
1. Disassemble the bed completely and remove all bedding, mattress cover, and protection. If you do this yourself, you will save yourself the trouble of cleaning the mattress when it comes.
2. Vacuum the sides and top of the mattress with a vacuum cleaner equipped with a freshly disinfected cloth nozzle. Slowly rotate the nozzle around the mattress in a circular motion and allow the vacuum enough time to suck up as much dirt as possible.
3. Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda on the mattress and let it sit for a few hours, preferably in a place that is not exposed to the sun. Baking soda is essential for cleaning because it has deodorizing properties. It also helps to break down stains and remove moisture from glued materials. Depending on the size of the mattress and the extent of the cleaning, you can use a whole pound of baking soda.
4. Vacuum again, vacuum the baking soda with a hose nozzle, and clean in the same manner as before.
5. Ventilate the room. Open a window in your room or turn on a ceiling fan if you have one. You can also bring a portable fan to circulate the air.
6. Clean the springs and bed frame and wipe down any hard surfaces. If the headboard is fabric, vacuum as before with an upholstery nozzle.
7. Return the hot-washed sheets to the bed and dry them in high heat.
You can do this yourself, but if you hire a professional mattress cleaner, you’ll get great results for a tough job. We recommend a deep cleaning every six months to keep your mattress in good condition and remove dirt and allergens to protect your health.
Want to learn more about how to clean your mattress? We invite you to contact Clean Couches Sydney and we’ll be happy to answer your questions and help you keep your mattress in good condition for as long as possible.